Sunday, April 8, 2012

Taking stock

I had a quick walk round the garden this morning.  The past week's frost and rabbit carnage have left me with five fewer Tomato plants (the ones in the upside down planters and ones in a large pot are all dead from the cold.  I had covered them but they would still have been quite exposed), six less Sunflowers and a sorry looking lump of Kiwi vine.

In the win column I can see that the turnip seeds I planted outside (to replace the ones I killed by planting out too early during the good weather) have sprouted.

The lettuce and camomile seeds I scattered around the tomatoes two weekends ago have also started to sprout which is nice.  Most of my potatoes are up now and I can see lots of growth in the garlic and onion beds.  Some of the onions have failed so I'll replant as soon as I get a few hours of dry weather.

Indoors there has been a lot of growth.  The seeds I planted four weeks ago are looking really good.  I got about a 50% success on the seeds I planted and the Artichokes, Asparagus and Butternut Squash are coming on well.  I'm going to plant some more this week.
About a month ago I planted some left over lettuce (last years seeds) and it is ready to eat at last. I'm going to have some in my sandwich today.  This will be the first food I've grown and eaten this year other than the herbs.
Butternut Squash
Asparagus
Artichoke
Yummy lettuce

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...