Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Compost fail?

So the compost bin is full and it looks like there is lots of actual compost in the bottom (I know this is silly but it feels like I did magic or alchemy or something!) There is also a very recognisable potato plant growing out of the door at the bottom, what I think is an ant colony and a couple of dandelions growing out of the top.
A potato leaf escaping from the compost bin

I don't mind the potatoes growing there, that really is free food.
I couldn't really care less about the ants although I'm pouring some water in there more often (I leave a bucket next to the bin to catch the rain) because apparently the ants suggest the compost might be a bit dry and I think I would like them to move on before barbecue season.

I'm a bit less impressed by the dandelions.  I may have thrown some (about 100) dandelions in there without really thinking it through.  Next year I'll put the dandelions in the council compost bin instead - and I'll probably have a field of dandelions instead of garden.

Maybe I'll learn to love them, they're kind of cheerful, need no work and can apparently be eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...